Monday, April 13, 2009

my stop at S16-04-40 (edited)

I still remember my friends’ reactions when I told them that I would be taking ES2007S Professional Communication for the new semester. The ‘HUHS, Professional Communication…’ and “WHYs” were written clearly on their faces but I just smiled and told them that I believed it would be useful for my own personal development. Deep down, I knew the reason why I took this module. I wanted to find out what I was lacking when came to communicating with others and I wanted to improve on that, especially since an incident in the past that seemed to prove that I did not have wonderful interpersonal relationships with others. Up to this point in time, I still feel that the remarks made by those particular few were not justified. Fortunately, from this course, I realize that there is much more to communication than to what I have observed in the past.

On the very first day of lesson, ground rules were laid out (though some were not diligently followed as time goes by). Even though it sounded like a hectic schedule planned ahead for us, I was anticipating what would be up next. And as the days went by, the lessons got more and more interesting because I was able to find out things that I hope to know and understand. At the same time, listening to Mr Blackstone telling us all his nice stories and classmates sharing their experiences made lessons fun; this is definitely not the norm I will experience back in my own faculty.

I feel that the syllabus is well-planned, all the assignments and project have a clear objective behind them. In addition, my learning was further enhanced because there were always feedback and advice given by Mr Blackstone and fellow classmates. For example, I know the area of improvements for myself when comes to interviewing and resume writing. I learnt that "as such" is not a good transition word and many more!!=)

Now that I have gotten my new 'driving license' and I no longer have any instructor next to me to guide me, it is up to me how I can drive myself (and maybe others) around safely and happily!

http://www.inspiringthots.net/movie/life-on-train.php

This stop here at S16-04-40 with my ES2007S tutor and classmates has indeed been a fulfilling and enriching one. Thank you everyone for this pleasant journey and all the best for your endeavors!

12 comments:

  1. Dear ZiQi,

    I'm glad that your curiosity and perceived communication needs prevailed and that you were able to take ES2007S. I'm glad our many stories won you over. And most importantly, I'm happy that the skills we introduced and practiced have been deemed so important by you that you were able to spend countless hours on the work I assigned.

    But now my interest is pricked: ground rules were laid but some not diligently followed? I wonder what those were!

    In any case, I really appreciate all your contributions this term, from the many assignments to the class interactions. It was fun having you in the group because, well, you acted quite "genki," meaning "spirited" in Japanese. That means you were always ready with an opinion or an insight, and I really appreciate that sort of participation. It made my job that much easier and enjoyable.

    Yes, a pleasant journey indeed. May the rest of yours here at NUS and in the future be very rewarding!

    Keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. Since the term is not over yet, can I ask you to review the verb tenses in this post? I'd be happy to explain the problems on Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure thing! I just edited and hopefully it is better than before! And, I learnt a new word: genki=)

    Yes! With the advancement in technology, it is so easy for people to stay in touch and we should! Let's facebook!

    Thanks Brad^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Zi Qi, my blogging buddy!

    We just sort of settle into blogging groups by random chance but I really appreciate your edits. I tend to go on and on about stuff and you were the first person to point out to me that er, they don't make sense. HAHA!

    Brad, the tenses problems is both Zi Qi's fault and mine. I simply cannot spot grammer mistakes as I never learnt grammer "properly" and only write by "feel".

    Should add you on facebook. Then we can mass poke stuff like "Hating Mondays with" Brad. HAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear ZQ,

    This module was actually reccomended by my JC classmates who had fond memories taking this module. They told me about the useful communication and writing skills that the acquired from this module. Indeed, I gained quite a lot of knowledge and skills from this enriching module. From your blog post, I can see that you do treasure what you learn from this module. Thank a lot for providing so many valuable comments for my blog post. I Hope we can keep in touch via facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear ZiQi,

    Here's the way I would correct the first paragraph:


    I still remembered (REMEMBER) my friends’ reactions when I told them that I would be taking ES2007S Professional Communication for the new semester. The ‘HUHS, Professional Communication…’ and “WHYs” were written clearly on their faces but I just smiled and told them that I believe(BELIEVED) it will (WOULD) be useful for my own personal development. Deep down, I knew the reason why I took this module. I wanted to find out what (I) am (WAS) lacking when comes (CAME) to communicating with others and I wanted to improve on them (THAT), especially since an incident (IN THE PAST) that seemed to prove that I did not have wonderful interpersonal relationships with others. Up to this point in time, I still feel that the remarks made by those particular few were not justified. Fortunately, from this course, I realized (REALIZE) that there is much more to communication than to what I have observed (IN THE PAST).

    If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them Thursday.

    By the way, my Facebook name is Peet Blackstone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I see what you mean, thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey zQ,

    I really like your post. It has a certain 'feel good' essence to it. It's nice to read posts like that. It's very sincere and relatable.

    I guess we all have issues in our own lives. Insecurities about various things. Afraid of being judged by others. However, I guess what a lot of us do not realize is that these inhibitions, in a wierd way, allow us to grow. All we have to do is face them head on like you did and not be afraid to learn. :)

    Glad to have known you.

    Cheerz!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey ZQ!

    We made it! WOOT! Haha

    It was fun working with you for most parts of this module. You are such a determined, hardworking, and analytical person! Thank goodness that Grace and I had you in the team as I don't think Grace and I could have hanged in there as you were always the one who comes out with the drafts/assignments first!

    Your writing skills were alright la! Just the minor mistakes that we all make e.g. tenses, spelling mistakes etc.

    And your presentation skills were also ok! Just practice a little bit more! You'll be amazing!

    I hope your stop here is the beginning of more avenues that require the application of what you learned in this class. And of course, hopefully our paths will cross again in the near future (SO CHEESY!)

    CK

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Ziqi,
    That’s a very detailed reflection! I think you have contributed quite a bit during class and it is also nice hearing that you worked well with your group members. I felt that you have put in a lot of effort in the blog posts as they are very detailed. Your presentation too, I felt was well prepared and I guess it takes a lot of experience and practice to appear comfortable and confident in front of the audience. So don’t give up, I believe one day you will get the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Defensive driving?

    Aiyoh!

    But I guess that's a good way to finish the course blog.

    Take care, ZiQi!

    ReplyDelete